SADB were engaged by SAPN at ECI stage to undertake to install 2 x 250mm PE conduits – 320 metres down an elevation to sea level.
Challenges of the project included:
- Access to site (no access for plant and equipment from sea level)
- Fractured rock ground conditions
- Environmental issues
- Weather condition
Description of Work:
Design & construct parameters:
- Bore profile, trench alignment & methodology for installation of conduit for 33KV cable. Additional considerations for thermal rating, construction and recycling of drill cuttings (160m head).
- Constructed access track with a gradient of 52 degrees. In an environmental sanctuary
- 1km Track access and four engineered pads for Elevated work platforms, 100 ton all terrain crane, Tracked cable drum motorized stand including earth anchors
- Construction of a Creek access bridge
- Capturing and maintaining drill cuttings during the drilling process
- Completion of drill and installation of conduits and cable
- 4 x HV pole installations
- Large concrete clamping pit and manhole
- Sub Station: earth grid and stakes, concrete clamping access and penetrations.